Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Personal Revival - Catching my reflection

When I saw this picture, I was intrigued by it.  I like the creative idea of taking a picture of something that is actually a reflection.  So here I am, sitting and staring at it.  I look at all the details.  What is that in the far corner?  What is on the picture frame hanging on the right shoulder of the seated man?  Who is this guy I'm looking at?  All this  thought from a reflection.

A mirror can tell us what others see when they watch us.  It can tell us when something is amis or out of place.  It can tell us when we have something in our teeth or when we are fishing out an eyelash from underneath an eyelid. Mirrors tell us a great deal.

Our children are a mirror of us as their parents.  They learn how to react to situations by watching how we react to situations.  They say the same things we say.  Sure they have their own uniqueness but much of what we see in them is what they see in us.  Just today my daughter did something that often times I do.  My wife was quick to point out where she got that from.  Ouch! I don't like seeing that.  If I act like that, then I don't like how I act in that situation. 

We are also a mirror of Christ.  As a follower of Jesus, people see who Jesus is by watching me.  They also watch you.  Is Jesus really compassionate?  Is Jesus really forgiving?  Is Jesus really serious about truth?  People find out who Jesus is by watching His followers.  The Apostle Paul tells us to follow his own reflection as he follows the reflection of Christ.
(I Corinthians 11:1 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+Corinthians+11%3A1&version=NIV)

We are a mirror of who Jesus is.  Are you happy about that? Ashamed? 

Sometimes I'm ashamed.  Just like when I saw my daughter doing something I did that isn't right, I'm ashamed and I'm equally ashamed that sometimes others catch a glimpse of Jesus in me that isn't right.  I feel terrible about that.  So what do I do?

I ask questions.  Is there anything in my life, what I do or say, that would bring shame to the name of Christ and His character?  Ask a friend, a spouse, a family member or even your pastor.  Ask God!  See what He says.

 


  

No comments:

Post a Comment